Items We Cannot Accept
Goodwill greatly appreciates every donation. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept the following items due to safety, legal or environmental concerns:
- Used mattresses, box springs, water beds, and sofa sleepers
- Upholstered furniture (couches, mostly upholstered dining chairs, etc)
- Automobile parts of any kind (including tires and car batteries)
- Firearms or ammunition
- Hazardous materials including fuels (such as gas, oil, diesel fuel, and propane), paint, paint thinner, insecticides, flammable, and poisonous materials
- Electronic and kerosene heaters
- Building materials (lumber, brick, doors, lighting fixtures, sinks, countertops, etc.)
- Large appliances such as dishwashers, washers, dryers, refrigerators, and hot water tanks
- Commercial office material (Cubical panels, large copy machines, bulk desks, etc.)
- Carpet and padding
- Cribs, car seats, walkers, or other products that DO NOT meet the current safety standards or the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (www.cpsc.gov)
- CRT (Tube) televisions and computer monitors
- Non-working flat-screen televisions & computer monitors
To view a list of items we can accept, click here.
Why does Goodwill not accept some items?
All donations that Goodwill can sell in its stores are greatly appreciated. However, when Goodwill receives items that cannot be used it requires additional resources to be used that decrease the amount of resources allocated to helping people with job training and placement.
Some items that Goodwill cannot accept may be able to be recycled through your local city or county recycling center. Residents of Kent County can go to www.recyclekent.org for more information.